Saturday, January 29, 2005

phew...

what an eventful week... fri, i had to fly two sorties in e same day, to and fro from a new airfield. As it was our first time operating from this airfield, we had to learn e new radio and flying procedures to get there. That was in addition to the flying syllabus itself... I was quite a nervous wreck, cos i guess i knew i wasnt adequately prepared for one let alone both sorties...

The fact that i was on an early morning take off and that the air traffic authority was not opened for work yet didnt help. To make things worse, i had failed to pull up a knob during my prestart checks. That led to me being unable to hear the radio transmissions. We had to stop at a waiting bay for a while to rectify the problem... That done, i continued with the flight. All the unexpected changes and events led me to be in a "lagging" state, somethin like your mind trying to catch up with the situation that was going too fast...

Again, on takeoff, i made a big mistake, failing to ask e instructor for permission before commencing my take off roll. That mistake itself i think is large enough to fail me for that sortie. However, as i was climbing past 1600ft, my instruments failed! haha... i notified the instructor and he took the opportunity to return to base. He later told me that if i had continued the sortie, he predicted that i was going to fail, therefore he terminated the sortie. So really, it must have been God to fail my instruments! haha...

I took off the same day for a later sortie in a much calmer situation and passed it. Didnt get to learn any cooking though - we have to cook at the new airfield for ourselves and instructors - as i didnt make it there in the early morning. Looking back, i think there are a few lessons for me. One was that i got to learn to relax and i guess He will teach me to trust Him more and more. I think that my training here would serve some purpose to help me to be objective and composed about unexpected developments too...

Flying two sorties on monday too... Going to church tmr. I pray He will multiply the time i need. And by His grace i will make it through with favour. Probably flying my first solo this week. Got to clear my next three sorties and requirements first. Did i mention my instructor was reading a book by Joyce Meyer? haha... One day before either of us leaves this place, i must talk to him.

Before i wrote this, i was listening to a Christian radio station. It was advertising when it broadcasted "fire!"... and the actual alarm went off! haha... Fire engines came and they sweeped our bunks... False alarm...

No comments: