Sunday, July 10, 2005

apaches?

Looks like it's more or less confirmed.. i should be going to helis.. Well according to the instructors, it's not so much about my flying. My course commander says that my flying might be even better than my coursemates, but my scores just dont reflect it. And they cant justify sending me to fighters with my kind of scores. It gives me pain though that scores are sometimes instructor dependent.. Another instructor told me that after my close form sorties, some instructors kinda tagged me with the label "black knight". I guess i wont be going there though... He also told me that heli flying (he was a heli pilot) should be a walk in the park for me.. haha.. And they are sending me in the hope that i can make it to apaches... He said this to me: that if i had went to fighters, he knew i would be 'shit hot' but, which type of lifestyle would i enjoy more?

There's the disappointment of not being able to go fly fighters... somethin i looked to as a kid. But perhaps my experience here has led me to feel that this is more than just about a dream coming true. But what's best for me. Somehow when i got the news that i was going to helis, i felt more relieved than disappointed. And i think it stemmed from the fact that deep inside i knew i wouldn't enjoy a fighter lifestyle. Certainly one reason why they didnt send me there has to be my personality. Where fighter pilots tend to be more extroverted, aggressive and individualistic. My former instructor (now left the air force) actually called the squadron looking for me and talked to me a little, saying that he had wished i was going to helis. Cos he had seen many people go to fighter squadrons and change drastically. With the things i have seen here, i think it must be true... i can only say that going to places they enjoy isnt healthy at all.. Esp for my spiritual life.

They gonna plan the fighter guys to finish by 15 of this month. And the rest of us should go back latest by national day. I think maybe a week earlier than that. i got about 20+ sorties left in my syllabus. Looking forward to going back home. And spending the next 9 months in sweet Singapore! Cos my rotary training should be in sembawang... Family, church, char kway teow, satay, friends, maybe a driving license, here i come! (no order in priority.. hehe)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

guess what... you stronger than i tot. Be that David that so close to God... by and by you getting there. Where ever He leads you... He is never wrong... Helis - good and even transport so what... most important thing is you lasted through the training... I know its not just tough physically but mentally... remember the tough times will past in due time its that tough ones that remains. Congratulations in confidence of the Lord... Like i said so what if its not the fighters... dont want you to change ... dont want you behave like shit boy or what ever... just be you... He is never wrong and He will never leave you... so you are in good Hands... glad your instructor said it... you always be our white Knight

love dad

Anonymous said...

oh by the way they scrap the hueys... and praise always be to Him on High... our king, our majesty and our God forever!

DC