Wednesday, April 27, 2005

By Smith Wigglesworth...

People get a wrong idea of mourning. In Switzerland, they have set apart to take wreaths to graves. I questioned the people’s ignorance and said, “Why are you spending time around graves? The people you love are not there. All that taking of flowers to the graves is not faith at all. Those who died in Christ are gone to be with Him, ‘which’, Paul said, ‘is for better’ (Phil 1:23).”

My wife once said to me, “Watch me when I’m preaching. I get so near heaven when I’m preaching that some day I’ll be off.” One night she was preaching, and when she had finished, off she went. I was going to Glasgow and had said goodbye to her before she went to the meeting. As I was leaving the house, the doctor and policeman met me at the door and told me that she had fallen dead at the church floor. I knew she had gotten what she wanted. I could not weep, but I was in tongues, praising the Lord. Humanly, she was everything to me; but I could not mourn on natural lines, and I just laughed in the Spirit. The house was soon filled with people. The doctor said, “She was dead, and we can do no more for her.” I went up to her lifeless corpse and commanded death to give her up, and she came back to me for a moment. Then God said to me, “She is Mine; her work is done.” I knew what He meant.

They laid her in the coffin, and I brought my sons and my daughter into the room and said, “is she there?” They said, “No, Father.” I said, “We will cover her up.” If you go mourning the loss of loved ones who have gone to be with Christ – I say this to you out of love – you have never had the revelation of what Paul spoke when he showed us that it is better to go than to stay. (See 2 Cor 5:8) We read this in Scripture, but the trouble is that people will not believe it. When you believe God, you will say, “Whatever it is, it is all right. If You want to take the one I love, it is all right, Lord.”

But the mourning that Jesus spoke of in Matthew 5 is a mourning in the Spirit. God will bring you to a place where things must be changed, and there is a mourning, an unutterable groaning until God comes. Jesus mourned over Jerusalem. He saw the conditions; He saw the unbelief; He saw the end of those who closed their ears to the Gospel. But God gave a promise that He would see “the labor of His soul, and be satisfied” (Isa 53:11) and that He would “see His seed” (v10).

What happened on the day of Pentecost in Jerusalem was a promise of what would be the results of His Travail, to be multiplied a billionfold all down the ages in all the world. And as we enter in the Spirit into travail over conditions that are wrong, such mourning will always bring results for God, and our joy will be complete in the satisfaction that is thereby brought to Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes son I agree. guess your message is for me and them - you know who i mean. I print out this passage and read it again soon.
We are just taking off this "rag" and put on a new "clothes" when we leave this world. The body is just a shell.. many things i do not understand as to why grands is in this condition... perhaps there is something i need to know and learn further but Gods' knowledge and action are above mine just as His ways are above mine and the heavens is higher than the earth.. as a human its just missing them when they leave... all i wish is for my mama to have less suffering...now we taking her to a hosspice.. its about $180 per day excluding medicine and nick nacks... my mama wants to come home but we just dont have the means to look after her..i just hope the action wont break her heart...Ihave now is to depend on the mercy of the Lord...whom I will never change nor worship others. He will always be my God forever! That goes for you and your sister and generations after... nothing less than loyalty to our God whom all honor and blessings and power belongs. I Praise Him for righting my wrong and I will praise Him for making me strong, His Spirit.. His Spirit for soothing my pain and I praise Him and I Praise Him over and over again!

Love you son. Take care and no worry