Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Emergency!

Today i had a good and eventful time flying. I went on my first solo that involved flying out into the training area instead of simply at the airfield area that we usually do. It really is quite challenging for a first timer, with questions like "what if i get lost?" and "what if i get an emergency in the area?". Furthermore, this sortie involves aerobatics in which we have so little experience in. But i remembered my QFI once saying this, that if he cleared a student for somethin, he doesn't like the student to feel afraid of doin it as the QFI has shown his confidence in the student.

Well the day really started badly. I was like totally reprimanded for the flight that i had failed on Tuesday. He mentioned Jewish kids of 13 yrs of age being declared grown ups and making decisions for themselves. And i definitely have to learn how to "be a man". Especially in this career, in which i have to protect my country with multimillion dollar equipment.

His approach to the check flight today was surprisingly kind. He usually just rails at me you see. Today he was really patiently teaching me. And before i knew it, he was sending me solo.

Walking out to the aircraft, strapping in, and starting the jet, i was fighting to keep myself calm. My nerves settled soon though, and i was in the air before i knew it. In the areas, i practised a series of exercises. Some i have actually felt afraid doing with a QFI, much less on my own! Haha... Developments began to be awry however as a caution tone sounded as i was pulling through a Loop like manueovre.

Continuing the sortie with the aproval of the QFI, i then experienced caution lights and tones as i put the aircraft through a 4 point roll. Uh oh. Making an urgency call, i recovered back to base quickly and uneventfully. Upon touch down however, there were like two fire trucks waiting for me! And they chased me all the way to the end of the runway! One even stopped directly in front of me in case i had to shut down. But i taxied back uneventfully.

I must say that two sorties in a day full of aerobatics is really tiring! Never felt so tired before man. But hey, at least i aint feeling sick from aeros anymore!

3 comments:

dappysg said...

:D

Anonymous said...

hey son,I can see you are very excited over the aerobatics training. Keep it up and I have full confidence in you.

Luv,
Mum

Anonymous said...

bandits 3 o clock... bandits 6 oc clock... ok got a boogie... its not about plaster nor about golf...its about you ... and.. you did well... Praise be to God who said... I will be with you always.